Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wouldn't Trade it for Anything

I have been home for about a week now and I have gone through my hundreds of pictures several times. I love being home but there is a part of me that wants to be back in Ghana. I miss walking down the road and hearing "Abruni!" coming from all the little voices from every house. I miss trying to introduce myself and even after spelling my name being called 'Eraine'. I miss the people who we were able to meet and interact with. I miss the awesome group of girls I was able to REALLY get to know. I miss the yummy fresh fruit we were spoiled to receive from our neighbor. I miss playing soccer, frisbee, jump rope, anything and everything with all the kids in the village. The wonderful memories that were made there will never fade.
I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go to Ghana and have the experiences I had. When people ask me what my favorite part of the trip was, I can't answer because there were too many wonderful parts that I cannot pick just one. Another question I get is what was the worst part? And honestly, there was not a single thing that I can pick out and say I wish that hadn't happened. (Even spending the night cleaning up a flooded room from a toilet mishap was part of the experience. As we cleaned it up we laughed and had a good time, we grew closer together as a group through all the little- and big- things that happened because, it's Africa.)
The Ghanaian people are some of the most loving and welcoming people I have ever met. They have so little in material possessions but they have so much to give from their hearts and are willing to give all they have. There were a couple of times where we were the "guests of honor". I do not know how we became such guests but they welcomed us with open arms and shared with us all that they had. These people also showed us their gratitude for that which we were able to do for them. They were so appreciative for every little thing we were able to help with. I know that our efforts in Ghana were not put to waste; they will use the clinic, the supplies, and the knowledge to improve their circumstances.
I would not trade these experiences, memories, friendships, knowledge, lessons that I have gained from this trip for anything. What a great opportunity it was to learn from the wonderful people of Ghana. Loved every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.